Saturday, August 7, 2010

WEEKS 19 & 20: Family Time & Chemo #4

June 12th -14th was a great weekend because we got to see Clint and Ashlie and their four boys. With them down in Tucson, we don't get to see them very often. We got together at the house we own down in Provo with everyone except Conrad and Jamie, who are doing summer sales of security systems down in Houston. So, 4 of my 5 kids, and 7 of my 9 grandkids ain't bad! We played games, ate, and visited (What else do you do at Family get-together's?). Since it was a few weeks after my last Chemo, I felt pretty good, thankfully. I love my family so much, and cherish the moments we get to spend together.










First pic: Collin & the boys playing a game on the Wii.
Second pic: Me, Chase, Clint & Tasha playing "Ticket to Ride".

The very next day, Tuesday, June 15, we had to get up very early, and drive the 4 1/2 hours from Provo to Rexburg for Chemo #5 at 10 a.m. Did we manage to make it on time? Well, not quite - but pretty close! The long day sitting in the "Chemo Chair" went faster than usual thanks to my brother Stan, and nephew Jordan coming to spend the day playing games. They even hauled in a card table & chairs! We played Settlers of Catan, Peurto Rico, and then finished up with some Rook. Thanks, Stan and Jordan!

One new issue to deal with came up in Chemo#4. After they drew & tested my blood, they told me that my red blood cell count was down, so I would feel some fatigue. I thought, "Okay, no problem, I'll just take a nap during the day," which I hadn't really done much so far. Well, as the week progressed after the Chemo, I found out the fatigue didn't mean sleepy, it meant rubber legs. Just walking up my stairs made my legs feel like I had just climbed a mountain. Tasha did a little research for me, and told me I might try taking iron, folic acid, vitamin B-12, and vitamin C to help the anemia. So I went and stocked up on all of those. Tasha put things into perspective nicely: "If it doesn't work for you, the only thing you have to lose is more expensive pee." Good point Tasha! I'll give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

background