Thursday, August 26, 2010

WEEK 27 & 28: 3 Doctors in 2 Days & The King Reunion


On Wednesday August 11 we were back on the road again. First to Rexburg for my first Herceptin chemo maintenance treatment. The full chemo treatments used to take 4 to 5 hours for blood testing, anti-nausea injections, then the 3 different drip bags, then the white blood cell injection, etc. This time with just blood tests and then the 1 bag, I was out of there in about an hour. After that we dashed to Idaho Falls where I had my Radiation Simulation appointment with Dr. McAllister at the Cancer Center of Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

The Simulation was rather interesting. First they had me lay on a kind of "bean bag" pad, with my arms over my head holding on to metal grips. Then they pumped some air into the pad so that my body left an impression in it. They will always have me lay on that pad for each treatment so that I'm in the exact same position during each Radiation treatment. Then they did a series of CAT-scans, and drew several X's on my skin with a Sharpie permanent marker to use for future machine settings. Using the CAT-scans and markings, the doctor and a phycisist will do all of the calculations of dosages and angles that they will want to shoot the radiation. They need about a week to do all of that work, and then I'll start my first treatment next Tuesday. They put a sort of clear tape on my markings so I can't wash them away before my first treatment. At that time they will tattoo 5 little spots on my chest and ribs which they will always use to line up the machine.

After my appointment in I.F. we were off to - where else - Utah, where I had an appointment the next morning with my surgeon, Dr. Neumayer. This was just a follow-up appointment, so nothing too major. I figured that I'd get just one last dose in my expander, but found out that since I had already done my Simulation for Radiation, I couldn't be expanded. Never even thought of it, but my Simulation was based on that exact size, and I couldn't be changing anything without re-doing the whole Simulation process! Oh well, I think I'm close enough to where I need to be anyway. So, with 2 doctor visits Wednesday, and 1 on Thursday, that makes 3 doctor visits in 2 days. I must admit, I am getting so sick of doctors, clinics, & hospitals I could puke! Since I'm not a real big puker though, I guess I'll just keep on chugging!

Later that afternoon we went to the the Oqquirrh Mountain Temple with the whole Hill clan (our totally favorite cousins) since the whole family had gathered from all over the country for Marshall's wedding on Saturday. Then they had a big dinner and party at the Hill house that evening. Always so fun to hang with the Hill's! We left at 10 p.m. that night and drove all the way to Idaho Falls to spend the night since we were renting a trailer there the next morning to go to the King Family reunion for the weekend. (I definitely didn't feel up for sleeping in a tent) It took 4 stops at motels to find one that had a room! It was 3 a.m. before we finally got to bed. Oh my gosh was I ever pooped! Wimpy anemic legs, and we're doing all of this traveling, going to bed late, etc. Needless to say we didn't get up as early as planned, but we managed to get the trailer picked up, though late, and off for the Sun Valley, Idaho area for the reunion. This year was a big push for the reunion of my mom's siblings, their kids (my cousins) and their kids, etc. This could possibly be the last hurrah of the King reunion, so it was important to me to go. It was also a big deal, because this was going to be the first time in probably 30 years that all 7 of the kids in my family would be there. So it was really important to me to be there in spite of the fact that I am getting so very travel weary! Each family clan was assigned a color to wear so everyone could at least tell who you came from. My mom's clan were all in red. So here is a fun pic of me and my parents and siblings in our red shirts. We are standing in order of age - Tim is the oldest, then James, Russ, Stan, then us 3 sweet girls came last - Cynthia, me, and last but not least, Barb.


The only ones of my own family that got to come were Collin, Tiffany & Landon. I was so happy that I had one of my kids there with us. We had 4 old red sweatshirts we got at Disney World many years ago. So we were able to match when things cooled off. Cute huh? It really was a good time to see cousins I haven't seen in over 20 years, eat lots of good food, and play lots of crazy "Survivor" games against the other clans (tribes). I'm so glad I got to go! Families are pretty fun! I love my family so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background